Monday, June 04, 2007

A Very Serious and Proper Memoir

Tis difficult to write about a vacation once it's over. The sharpness of the everyday experience fades. The milk with Lucky Charms, seeing 7th Avenue where I crossed the street in my Belle gown twelve years ago, walking in London with Mum, the presents I found when I had no intention of buying and my delight at how apt they were for the receiver,dreaming in Downtown Disney, riding the Everest Expedition four times, Mary Poppins on Broadway....all of them so vital and yet so ephemeral.

I discovered people anew this trip.
Mum is going to be 50 in November. She's gorgeous, astute, intense. She's happily unmarried, and has her fair share of romance. I am so very proud of the unconventional life she is leading. She makes brilliant coffee and cocktails and cooks like a dream and takes pride in being pretty and is always learning. She has a stock of abuses and a sense of humour that is outrageous.
My aunt who we stayed withis...my soulmate. We can't stand people all the time, we hate being available all the time. She lives by herself in a gorgeous Manhattan apartment and watches good movies and reads a lot and takes everything with a wry pinch of salt.

I met an uncle of mine after eight years in New York. When I was about seven years old, he made up a rhyme about me...which I shall not repeat here :) He recited it when we met this time!

I also got closer to a friend from Pune, so much so that the back of my neck has been itching because we haven't communicated since I came back!
I'm glad to be back. They make such terrible chips over in the West! And I had to smoke Marlboro! And I missed Hindi music!

1 comment:

º··´`·.¸» Dragöness º··´`·.¸»™ said...

i agree with the chips but i miss my Davidoff ultra slims!!! I need smoke.. the right ones..