Friday, June 22, 2007

Talking Big

One of the most damning things about small-talk is the question 'so, what do you do?' Or not so much the question, as the expected answer.
Most people spew out their year of college or their job-status..and stop there. Riiiiight! You're a first-year student and nothing else. You work in a bank....that's it! That's your big life with small, intimate spaces and infinite quirks. Not!

What do you do?

I write. I agonize endlessly. I read till my head hurts. I take pictures of myself. I listen to songs and hold up an imaginary microphone and pretend I'm singing. I think about love. I study literature. I'm also currently practicing looking people in the eye. I watch movies because I like razzle-dazzle. I perform. I touch people. I observe bodies and rain. They are beautiful. I listen. I miss.

So...what do you do?

6 comments:

maime augusta said...

well i channelize my vision to see what is misty , dream what is not desired , pray for damnation without wanting to get there , listen . i also work and make myself work , giving in to a change of my customized norms . i also write , most of which never reflect a logical opinion but i quite vent a jetstream on the keyboard , i also run , the path ......stumble and get up........regain my composure ....... i swim in the SEA .....wishing to experience THE DROWNING.....i do a lot more though ........
WELL! this question does not particularly agonize me that much , but certainly does make me realize how important it is to do something worth talking which agonizes me till the end of certainty..............


So PIPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!get bloggy wid me ........
www.thenextcave.blogspot.com as im about to resurrect it

Bone said...

mahn, so true. i usually say, nothing really, just hang around, take pictures, write a bit, listen to music. pause for dramatic effect. and sleep.

you should see the horror in their faces as they recoil :D

Liquifier said...

Maime: I am totally taking you to the next snooty cocktail party I attend :p

Oliver: Grin. You go girl!

this is me said...

i've if this very question so many times in my head in similar questions, it's often left me numb. i think these days when i go to boring and civilized parties my brain automatically shifts to autopilot i don't acknowledge anything being said or asked. veryy true.

maime augusta said...

hey benny .......thank you very much .........appreciate your offer ............that gives you one more "thing to do " .......now you can say ......."I take the caveman to snooty parties and take pride in that !!!!" lolz

Liquifier said...

this is me: :) yeah I sometimes go numb too. But tis kind if more fun to either observe people or to shock them.

maime: hee.