Wednesday, January 11, 2006

I've never really thought about my relationship with E. The only certainty I follow in it is that the word-concept of 'step' should be banished. At 5 years and 7 months, he is a confident, inquiring boy who frantically demands attention. I remember when I first heard that I was going to have a sibling....I was indifferently accepting. No anger or insecurity. I expected nothing from my father. It was another thing I took in stride.

I went to the hospital a few hours after he was born. Baba wanted to name him Bhombolnath!! I think it almost went on the birth certificate. I don't remember what I felt on looking at him. This huge bundle of flesh with a ready smile (even then) and memories he had already forgotten. They moved to Pune and I visited frequently. I loved E's physical form. Even after his baby-fat was lost, his face remained round, his eyes huge with inch- long lashes, his smile sudden. With my propensity to touch, we bonded physically and quickly.

Now we're flat-mates and have been roomates for the past 3 weeks. He's loud and can be bratty. He loves touching me. He likes shurshuri. He talks too much. Blood-ties hold no significance for me. I like him because I can listen to Bob Geldof and Mark Knopfler with him. Because he likes hugging. Because I now have someone to watch cartoons and Disney movies with. We share a house, a room, a father. We're possessive of each other.
I think we're ok.

No comments: