Friday, January 18, 2008

Letter

Dear Little Girls Who Live in My Building.

Yes I have a mum who lives away.

Yes Eeshaan is my real REAL brother.

Yes I am 22 years old, and no, I have no intention of marrying right now.

No I didn't always live here, I was born in Calcutta and lived there 20 years!

But you know what!

I'm here now, and I'm nice and i'm just....me.

So deal with it and back off! And tell your mothers too!

Gossipiness in 7 yr olds isn't pretty.

Love

Your Local Big Sister

2 comments:

Jo said...

Questions asked repeatedly and with malicious intent often end up causing hurt, no matter how much we steel ourselves to ignore them. At times like that, my resolve to refrain from prying into other's lives gets stronger. I cringe when I hear probing questions, especially when it is evident that the other person is in no mood to answer them.

Why do we do this? (the pronoun "we" has been used because I can't claim that I have always been above such behaviour) Why do we, as a society, believe that we need to know every detail of every person's life? Are we so starved for other forms of mental entertainment?

Thankfully, the situation is steadily improving. I can see that. And that gives me hope....

Jo

Liquifier said...

Jo: I am fierce about my privacy. I am not ashamed of any part of myself, but I refuse to give explanations for who I am.
What really gets me sore is that these little girls were wildly curious because they had heard that I am 'different.' Even at this age, they will not let anything different 'be.' It must be prodded and poked until it is beaten into proper shape.