Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Meryl Streep once said, 'I look at my daughter and think, 'They're going to blow up the world, just when I've got this little peach here.''

I know. I watch the news, see movies based on religious/political horror stories. My flesh shrivels. I hurt.
I have no religious loyalties. A colleague once asked me, 'Aren't you proud to be a Hindu?' Itruthfully answered, 'I don't know enough about Hinduism to take any pride in it.'
I recently watched Deepa Mehta's 'Earth.' I thought about E. Three days into this trip, and I have changed. I grip his hand just a little tighter when we are out. I think, 'how terrible if E has to grow up in this filthy fanaticism.' And I realize how this kind of love makes us feel so terrible helpless. Because we know that no matter if we commit every atom in our body to protect the ones we love, ultimately we might only be able to stand and watch.
They plot and they plan to blow up the world. To them the world is whoever is not like them, maybe even some who are. The only way they want the world to notice them is to blow it up. To me, they blow up people's personal worlds. Those little bits of earth on which we grow what we love best. And then it turns to blood and loose, scattered limbs. And then we grasp our last resort. We pray to the god in whose name most of this happens.

No comments: