Thursday, October 25, 2007

Of Linguistics and Anneishness


How thankful little Phil will be when all this examinating is over!

Examinating! I never heard of such a word.

Well, haven't I as good a right to make a word as anyone else??

Words aren't made, they grow.

From 'Anne of the Island' by L.M.
Montgomery







God! Somebody get me a bed quick!
Actually, I'm too zombied even to sleep. Transcription has taken its toll!
Yes indeedy, words aren't made. They aren't meant to be transcribed either I'm sure!

Tia cannot transcribe words. REPEAT! Tia CANNOT transcribe words! So why why why would they make me do it!!!!!

On the plus-side, I knew everything. I studied with a single-mindedness that was lovely. It's amazing when this one thing matters here and now, this moment, and all else falls away. I studied and mulled over notebooks till my body sank. And it was nice. The thing about English is...I've always been good at it. But it's been instinctive so far. I can interpret any text anytime and come up with ideas and concepts. My language is good because I read furiously. I've never had to prepare for an English exam per say.
Linguistics, being the technical part, is different. I have had lots and lots of new information to remember. And remember accurately. You can't get away with a clever turn of phrase in this paper. It's systematic, almost mathematical in its precision. So, I put in hard, academic effort. And liked it.
People so often look askance at me for studying English. As I told Boss the other day, why would I want to study anything else :)

3 comments:

janaki said...

Ya, i enjoyed studying too. And as you get to graduation and PG, you are increasingly studying subjects of your choice, which is fantastic. Academic rigour is good and requires concentrated focus and it is very fulfilling.

As i see nan studying, history, geography and today science ... i can see that she is enjoying it. It is so good, if a person enjoys what they do. Through a process of regular studying, exam is no-stress time, esp. if you enjoy the subjects.

Bone said...

oh lord... all those phonetic symbols and which part of the mouth pronouces what! i deeply sympathize :D

Liquifier said...

Boss: I know! Good work is amazingly enjoyable!

Ruby Tuesday: Hee. It's kind of fun once you get over the 'f'and 'v'and what an alveolar plosive is. Our prof is a riot. He once solemnly told us to 'put our fingers on our Adam's apples.'Which is ok, except that he was addressing a room full of girls.